Pickle-Brined Keto Fried Chicken
This Pickle Brined Keto Fried Chicken is crispy with tender, flavorful chicken. Skip the pickle brine and it will still taste amazing.
- 3 lb chicken thighs,, boneless and skinless
- 2 cups pickle juice,, from a jar of pickles
- 2 large eggs,, beaten
- 1 heaping tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 cup whey protein isolate, (or 1-2 cups finely crushed pork rinds)
- 2 cups avocado oil
- Place chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag. Pour pickle juice over chicken and place in refrigerator. Marinate for 8-24 hours, depending on how much pickle flavor you want your chicken to have (I go for the full 24)!
- Drain chicken and discard pickle juice. Pat chicken dry and cut into 2-3 pieces each, if desired. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Mix together eggs, mayo, dijon, salt and pepper, then toss the chicken in the mixture, taking care to make sure it’s entirely coated.
- Preheat the oil in a large, deep skillet until shimmering. Working quickly, dredge each piece of chicken in whey protein (or pork rinds) and place in the oil. Cook until both sides are well-browned and chicken is cooked through, turning just once.
- Drain cooked chicken pieces on paper towels. Serve with your favorite sauce. We like the Garlic Mustard Aioli from Trader Joe’s (or make your own) or a good, homemade ranch dressing. Be happy that you can eat yummy things like this on a keto “diet”! 🙂
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 453SATURATED FAT: 3gCHOLESTEROL: 281mgSODIUM: 1669mgCARBOHYDRATES: 7gFIBER: 1gPROTEIN: 53g