Shrimp & Bacon Chowder
Shrimp and bacon come together in a creamy, rich soup that only takes a few minutes to make. It’s weeknight comfort food! Keto recipe.
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium turnip cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined, tails on or off
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, reserving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the turnip and onion to the pan and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute or so. Pour in the chicken broth and simmer until the turnip is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp is pink and cooked through, another 3 minutes or so. Add the Cajun seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the bacon and chopped parsley upon serving.
Tip: Some Cajun seasoning has a lot of added salt. Be sure to taste your soup after adding the seasoning, before you add any additional salt and pepper. Also make sure your seasoning has no added sugar or other fillers. We really like Slap Ya Mama seasoning blend. Yes, that’s really what it’s called!