KETO CHURROS (DISNEY INSPIRED)
yield: 16 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 2 MINUTES
total time: 17 MINUTES
A keto-friendly twist on the sweet cinnamon classic, inspired by Disney’s recent release of their original churro recipe.
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon unflavored whey protein
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Swerve granular
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Swerve granular
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4-5 cups oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate (optional for dipping)
1. In a deep pan or dutch oven, add 4-5 cups of oil to use for frying churros. Turn stovetop to medium heat to start heating the oil up until it reaches 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together a tablespoon each of cinnamon and Swerve and set aside for dusting later on.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour, whey protein, and xanthan gum.
4. In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, add in butter, granular Swerve, vanilla extract, and water, stirring constantly. The butter and sweetener will meltdown after about 2 minutes. Do not let the ingredients boil as this will make a caramel.
5. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir. Add in the eggs and mix until you get a thick dough-like batter.
6. Add batter into a piping bag or cake decorating tool. Squeeze batter out in 4-5″ strips into oil and let fry up for about 1 minute, turning the churros in the oil as needed to evenly fry.
7. Remove the churros from the oil and place on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil. While hot, sprinkle the cinnamon Swerve mixture over the churros.
8. If desired, melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 15-second intervals until fully melted to serve alongside your churros. Enjoy the keto churros while warm!
Yield: 16 churros, Serving Size: 4 churros
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231, Total Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar Alcohols: 9g, Net Carbohydrates: 3g, Total Fat: 16g, Protein: 15g