No-Churn Keto Ice Cream
This No-Churn Keto Ice Cream is so creamy and smooth, it’s a game-changer! There are lots of flavours you could substitute to vary this recipe, but I wanted to start with the basic vanilla today.
Servings 8 Servings
- 1 vanilla bean pod or 1/3 tsp vanilla powder or 2 tsp vanilla extract if not using the bean or powder
- 13.5 fl oz heavy cream 1 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- 6.7 fl oz unsweetened almond milk 3/4 cup +2 tbsp
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol/monk fruit sweetener 80 g, if using allulose, increase the quantity by 30%
- 3 tbsp MCT oil
- 1 pinch salt optional
- Place a nonstick 7.5 x 5 x 3.5 inch (19 x 13 x 8.8 cm) loaf pan in the freezer.
- If using a fresh vanilla pod, slice in half lengthways using a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds.
- Add the heavy cream, almond milk and vanilla powder or vanilla pod with seeds to a pot. You can use vanilla extract if you don’t have access to fresh, but fresh gives the ice cream a nicer flavour.
- Bring the cream mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the powdered sweetener, MCT oil and salt with an electric whisk for about 2 minutes or until pale yellow.
- Return the cream to the heat until it is just a little warm but not hot. Carefully pour through a fine-mesh sieve over the egg yolk mix, while whisking with a balloon whisk until combined.
- Pour the ice cream mixture back into the pot and set over low heat; cook, while continuously whisking, until thickened, about 8 to 9 minutes.
- Allow the custard to cool. You can either cover it with cling film and set it aside to cool, but my favourite way is to fill a glass bowl with ice and water, pour the custard into a clean smaller bowl and nest it over the other, making sure no water can flow into the ice cream mix. This method cools the custard faster.
- Once cool, pour the custard into your chilled loaf pan, cover with cling film and freeze for 3 – 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, lift the cling film and stir using a balloon whisk every 45 – 60 minutes, especially for the first 2 hours, and every 60 – 90 minutes for a few hours after that, or until set to your liking.
How to Make Keto Ice Cream in an Ice Cream Maker
- After straining the custard mix, pour into your ice cream maker and churn as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. It normally takes about 20 minutes. Enjoy soft serve straight from the maker or pour into a loaf tin and freeze for a couple of hours until scoop-able.
No-Churn Keto Ice Cream
Amount Per Serving (2 scoops)
Calories 206Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Vitamin A 869IU17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie keto diet.