KETO KEBAB MEAL PREP WITH LOW CARB PITA BREAD
Keto meal prep for the week with juicy lamb kebabs and epic low carb pitas.
FOR THE KEBABS:
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1.5 teaspoons each smoked paprika & cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon each ground cloves & cardamom
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt & fresh pepper
- Olive or avocado oil
FOR THE TAHINI SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup runny tahini
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Ice water
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
FOR THE KETO FLATBREAD:
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher of salt
- 2 cups 6oz of finely shredded full fat mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Making the kebabs by adding the ground lamb to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients(except the oil), 1.5 teaspoons salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Use your hands to mix everything well, but make sure you don’t overmix as that will make the meat tough. Form the mixture into individual kebabs about 1 inch by 4 inches long, or any size you desire making sure they are not too fat. Store the kebabs in the fridge for 20 minutes, or overnight, before cooking so they can firm up.
- Meanwhile, make the keto flatbread by preheating the oven to 400F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and then add the salt, baking powder, and mix well. Add the finely grated cheese, mix well with a spatula. Add the almond flour and mix well. Put some oil on your hands and continue mixing with your hands, then separate the dough in 5 equal balls. Flatten each dough and spread them out on a piece of parchment paper and place another piece of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to flatten each dough until they are about 5-6 inches in diameter(watch the video to see how it’s done). It’s ok if the edges are touching each other. Transfer the dough and bottom piece of parchment to a sheet tray, sprinkle with dried thyme, and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Make it so all 5 doughs fit on one sheet tray. Remove and set aside.
- Make the tahini sauce by finely grating the garlic in a small bowl and covering with the juice of 1 lemon. Let sit for 5-15 minutes so the raw flavor of the garlic goes away. Add the tahini to a small food processor or use a handheld stick bender with a tall and narrow jar. Add the garlic and lemon juice, salt, and blend for a few seconds. Add some ice water(about 2-4 tablespoons) while blending and keep going until the texture is smooth and creamy. If you need to add more water, do so. If the tahini gets too loose, add more tahini. Check for seasoning and set aside.
- To cook the kebabs, pre-heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, wait 10 seconds, then add half of the kebabs and cook for 4-5 minutes. You have to work in two batches otherwise you will overcrowd the pan. Once the kebabs have nice color on the first side, flip and cook another 4 minutes. To ensure the kebabs cook evenly, turn them on both of their sides and cook for 30 seconds each side. To make sure the lamb is cooked through, you can cut into one. Remove from pan and cook the second batch.
- Serve the kebabs with the flatbread and tahini sauce and enjoy! You will have more kebabs than can fit on the flatbread, so just enjoy those with sauce. The kebabs will last 5 days in the fridge or can be frozen for 2-3 months. The flatbreads will last for 3-4 days in the fridge in a zip-top bag, or can be frozen for 3 months. The tahini sauce will last for 5 days in the fridge but can’t be frozen.
Make sure to buy a block of low moisture mozzarella cheese and grate it on the fine setting of the box grater. Don’t buy grated cheese for the flatbread.
The way I shaped the kebabs yielded 8 kebabs, which is enough for 5 meals. Keep the number 8 in mind for the macros. You can also make the kebabs out of ground beef, chicken thighs or turkey thighs.
Macros per lamb kebab, recipe makes 8 kebabs:
0.44 net & total grams of carbs
26.6 grams of fat
19 grams of protein
Macros per flatbread, recipe makes 5 flatbreads:
4.35 grams of net carbs
7.95 grams of total carbs
27.2 grams of fat
16.8 grams of protein
3.6 grams of fiber
Macros for all of the tahini sauce:
8.8 grams of net carbs
10 grams of total grams
46 grams of fat
16.5 grams of protein
1.5 grams of fiber