- 4 lamb shanks or 800 gms diced lamb lamb shoulder or lamb leg can be used as well
- 1 large or 2 small eggplant cut into chunky fingers
- 400 gms /14 oz diced tinned tomato sugar free
- 2 medium onions halved and thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne-or to taste… spicy!!
- a pinch cloves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- juice and rind of half a lemon
- A pinch of saffron crushed and steeped in a little water for 30 minutes- optional
- 2 tablespoons Lakanto Monkfruit Golden or sweetener substitute
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the slow cooker onto high.
- Sprinkle the spices over both sides of lamb shanks and add the sliced onions.
- Mix the tinned tomato, lemon juice, and sweetener together and pour over the lamb. Add the eggplant fingers around the lamb and coat in juices.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon zest.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high 6-8 hours on medium, or until cooked and tender. Add the saffron water just before serving.
Various Cooking Times Cook on medium for approximately 4-6 hours or on low for approximately 8 hours.
If you use a leg of lamb, you will need to cook for longer, depending on how large the leg is. I generally cook a leg of lamb for about 3 hours on high and 4 hours on medium/low.
Note that I’ve tried to make this without using any sweetener bit it just doesn’t taste right. I used Monk fruit but you could use Stevia or your preferred sweetener and adjust to taste.